Chromatic Outlook (Post#29) : Queen Bess Row (corner Simpson and Hotham Streets)
It’s a three four storey houses of red brick with sandstone dressings and the first fully developed example building built in the Queen Anne Revival style. The building initially became The East Melbourne Trained Nurses’ Home and private hospital from 1890 until 1894. Then, it become apartment – first apartment block in Melbourne.
In 1920’s, the building were known as the following: Rubra Flats (72), Angus McArthur’s boarding house (74), and Cregh Flats (76). In 1936 No. 74 was known as Tudor Guest House.
In 1989, the building stop as boarding house and were sold in three separate houses in 1990.
Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.