Chromatic Outlook (Post#30) : Opera House – Opera Box Style Balcony (No 138 Powlett Street)
Because of opera-box style balcony, the building has been called as Opera House which was built in 1868, don’t make this one mistake with Opera House in Sydney, that one is different. Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.
Chromatic Outlook (Post#29) : Queen Bess Row (corner Simpson and Hotham Streets)
It’s a three four storey houses of red brick with sandstone dressings and the first fully developed example building built in the Queen Anne Revival style. The building initially became The East Melbourne Trained Nurses’ Home and private hospital from 1890 until 1894. Then, it become apartment – first apartment block in Melbourne.
In 1920’s, the building were known as the following: Rubra Flats (72), Angus McArthur’s boarding house (74), and Cregh Flats (76). In 1936 No. 74 was known as Tudor Guest House.
In 1989, the building stop as boarding house and were sold in three separate houses in 1990.
Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.
Chromatic Outlook (Post#28) : Georgian Court (No. 21 George Street)
Built as apartment in 1860, currently the building becomes Georgian Court Bed & Breakfast. The building survived for more than 150 years now. Quite impressive historically. Another discovery for this building is, it was city base home of famous Australian operatic soprano named Dame Nellie Melba (Melba was pseudonym from Melbourne). Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.
Structure (Post#7) : The Gothic House (No. 157 Hotham Street)
An 1861 bluestone home dubbed The Gothic House. It was designed by architect Joseph Reed (who designed Melbourne Town Hall, State Library and Royal Exhibition Building) for deputy surveyor-general Clement Hodgkinson (who designed the Fitzroy and Treasury gardens). Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.
Chromatic Outlook (Post#27) : No. 49 George Street
The building was once home of Melbourne’s first surveyor, Robert Russell in 1865. Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.
Robert Rusell is an architect and surveyor, active in Australia. He conducted the first survey of the site of the nascent settlement of Melbourne on the banks of the Yarra River in 1836, and designed St James Old Cathedral, the oldest building remaining in central Melbourne (albeit not on its original site). He was also a prolific and talented artist and his work is held by major libraries and galleries in Australia.
Structure (Post#6) : Cairns Memorial Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian church built in 1895 but due to fire happened in 1988 where the shell of the building are the only remains, it was converted into luxury apartments. Photo is part of East Melbourne Historical Houses and Building Collection 2013.
You must be logged in to post a comment.